|Bridge Name||Facility Carried / Feature Intersected||Location||Structure Type||Construction Date and Builder/Engineer|
Western Avenue Bridge
||Western Avenue Over Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal||Chicago: Cook County, Illinois||Metal Through Girder, Movable: Vertical Lift (Tower Drive) and Approach Spans: Metal Through Girder, Fixed||1940 By Builder/Contractor: Strobel Steel Construction Company of Chicago, Illinois|
|Rehabilitation Date||Main Span Length||Structure Length||Roadway Width||Main Spans||Approach Spans||NBI Number|
|1942||109 Feet (33.2 Meters)||295 Feet (89.9 Meters)||107.3 Feet (32.7 Meters)||1||2||16605623164|
Few who cross this bridge today and do not know the history of this bridge probably are completely unaware that what looks like a typical, albeit very wide, fixed riveted through plate girder bridge was once an impressive vertical lift bridge. As unbelievable as it may seem, this bridge once had giant trussed towers and the associated mechanical equipment that enabled the central plate girder span to be lifted up, making it one of the widest vertical lift bridges known. Although this bridge was originally constructed as a fixed plate girder bridge, in 1942, the bridge was altered by the addition of towers and machinery that converted the bridge into a vertical lift bridge, to allow the Navy to move boats as part of the ongoing World War II. Unfortunately, all of those elaborate furnishings have once again been removed, leaving behind a very wide fixed plate girder that may in fact be representative of how the bridge appeared when originally built.
As a movable bridge, this bridge has lost all integrity that conveys its function. It is no longer significant as a movable bridge. However if considered for what it is today, a fixed through plate girder, the bridge is noteworthy for its art deco design including concrete pillars and a large and handsome bronze plaque design. Even the original ornate railings remain on the bridge, ironic because many of the movable bridges which retain structural integrity have lost their original railings.
Thanks to Tom Winkle for providing boat transportation to assist in the photo-documentation of this historic bridge.
Description of Bridge Conversion From Chicago's Report To The People, 1933-1946
The advent of war stopped new bridge construction and prevented completion of the State Street and Canal Street bridge projects. Material and manpower shortages made maintenance of existing structures a difficult task. But engineers and men of the Bureau of Bridges and Viaducts carried on with great resourcefulness, maintaining these essential links in the city's system of war production traffic arteries. In addition, they rehabilitated six bridges over the drainage canal which had been inoperative for about fifteen years to permit passage of Navy vessels en route to the Gulf of Mexico.
A notable achievement in this connection was the conversion of a 10-lane fixed bridge on south Western Avenue into a lift bridge. As a fixed bridge, its 21-foot vertical clearance over the sanitary and ship canal was inadequate to permit passage of newly-built war vessels from Great Lakes shipyards to the Gulf of Mexico. Some vessels had been taken through by omitting their superstructures and lowering the canal four feet, but this method had serious drawbacks. In July, 1942, the city entered into a contract with the Navy department for the alteration to be done by the city. The first shipment of steel for the towers arrived at the site on January 22nd. During the next ten weeks - in one of Chicago's coldest winters - the basic job of con- version was done. Trial tests were made on April 4th and on the following day naval vessels passed through the open draw of the reconverted bridge! One of the great aspects of this achievement is the fact that traffic on the ten lanes provided by the 140-foot deck of the crossing - including two street car tracks, and two sidewalks - was not seriously interrupted during the remodeling.
Above: A photo showing the bridge with its lift towers in place and the lift span in raised position.
Above: Photos showing the dedication ceremony following the conversion of the fixed Western Avenue Bridge into a lift bridge.
Above: Photos from 1943 and 1972, respectively, showing the bridge with the lift towers in place.
Main PlaqueFEDERAL WORKS AGENCY
PUBLIC WORKS ADMINISTRATION
JOHN M. CARMODY
FEDERAL WORKS ADMINISTRATOR
FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
S. WESTERN AVENUE IMPROVEMENT
BUILT BY THE
CITY OF CHICAGO
EDWARD J. KELLY, MAYOR
BOARD OF LOCAL IMPROVEMENTS
MICHAEL F. MULCAHY, PRESIDENT
WILLIAM W. LINK, VICE PRESIDENT
PAUL H. MUELLER, SECRETRY
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS
OSCAR E. HEWITT
DESIGN AND SUPERVISION
M. J. BURKE, RESIDENT ENGINEER
SEC. S. WESTERN AVE - S. A. 055 - 1111 - C. S.
Above: While this is a completed different bridge, it is interesting to note that as late as 1939, there was an impressive, yet narrow through truss that crossed a body of water (The West Fork of the South Branch Chicago River) that was filled in around 1939, after which the bridge was likely demolished. The two photos above show the bridge before and after the fill project. The Annual Report of the Department of Public Works provides the following information about former Western Avenue bridges: Among canal bridges: The first documented bridge was built in 1870 of wood by C. Fitz Simons and the bridge was a fixed bridge. This bridge was replaced by an iron fixed bridge in 1882. This bridge was built by the Massillon Bridge Company of Massillon, Ohio. It had a length of 118 feet and a width of 18 feet. The Public Works Report also listed a history of crossings for South Western Avenue, which is presumed to refer to the West Fork of the South Branch Chicago River Bridges. The first listed bridge was a hand-turned swing bridge that was a wood/iron combination bridge built by F. E. Canda in 1869. It was replaced in 1906 when the old 18th Street Bridge was moved and reused at Western Avenue. That bridge was built in 1888 by the King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio and was a hand-turned iron and steel swing bridge.
Historic Bridges of Chicago and Cook CountyBrowse Bridges In Google Maps
This special map has bridge markers colored by bridge movable type.
Complete Bridge List
Chicago and Cook County are home to one of the largest collections of historic bridges in the country, and no other city in the world has more movable bridges. HistoricBridges.org is proud to offer the most extensive coverage of historic Chicago bridges on the Internet.Chicago / Cook County Bridge News
July 29, 2013 - A project study has been initiated for the reconstruction of historic North Lake Shore Drive. This project puts a large number of historic bridges at risk for demolition and replacement. However, it could also be an opportunity to rehabilitate the bridges. Visit the project website.
April 30, 2013 - Illinois Landmarks has included Chicago's Bascule Bridges as one of their Top 10 Most Endangered Historic Places. View The Official Page.General Chicago / Cook County Bridge Resources
Chicago's Bridges - By Nathan Holth, author of HistoricBridges.org, this book provides a discussion of the history of Chicago's movable bridges, and includes a virtual tour discussing all movable bridges remaining in Chicago today. The book includes dozens of full color photos. Only $9.95 U.S! ($11.95 Canadian). Order Now Direct From The Publisher!
Chicago Loop Bridges - Chicago Loop Bridges is another website on the Internet that is a great companion to the HistoricBridges.org coverage of the 18 movable bridges within the Chicago Loop. This website includes additional information such as connections to popular culture, overview discussions and essays about Chicago's movable bridges, additional videos, and current news and events relating to the bridges.
Additional Online Articles and Resources - This page is a large gathering of interesting articles and resources that HistoricBridges.org has uncovered during research, but which were not specific to a particular bridge listing.
Click on a thumbnail or gallery name below to visit that particular photo gallery. If videos are available, click on a video name to view and/or download that particular video.
Original / Full Size Photos
|A collection of overview and detail photos. For the best visual immersion and full detail, or for use as a desktop background, this gallery presents the photos for this bridge in the original digital camera resolution.|
Mobile Optimized Gallery
|A collection of overview and detail photos. View the photos for this bridge in a reduced size which is useful for mobile/smartphone users, modem
(dial-up) users, or those who do not wish to wait for the longer
download times of the full-size photos. Alternatively, view this photo gallery using a popup slideshow viewer (great for mobile users) by clicking the link below.
Browse Gallery With Popup Viewer
© Copyright 2003-2013, HistoricBridges.org. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: HistoricBridges.org is a volunteer group of private citizens. HistoricBridges.org is NOT a government agency, does not represent or work with any governmental agencies, nor is it in any way associated with any government agency or any non-profit organization. While we strive for accuracy in our factual content, HistoricBridges.org offers no guarantee of accuracy. Information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Information could include technical inaccuracies or errors of omission. Opinions and commentary are the opinions of the respective HistoricBridges.org member who made them and do not necessarily represent the views of anyone else, including any outside photographers whose images may appear on the page in which the commentary appears. HistoricBridges.org does not bear any responsibility for any consequences resulting from the use of this or any other HistoricBridges.org information. Owners of bridges have the responsibility of correctly following all applicable laws, rules, and regulations, regardless of any HistoricBridges.org information.